Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Day Six - Cleaning and Changes

It's starting to get a little chilly!

So, here I am, in the start of week three! Time is going quickly, it's hard to believe it's been so long already.

A dear uncle of mine has recently been diagnosed with leukemia, quite suddenly. He has been in the hospital for several weeks now, and was told that he might be able to come home for a week, if we could get his house completely clean. My uncle doesn't have much of an immune system right now, and so the slightest bit of dust or mold is a threat.
My fantastic family all pulled together and cleaned his house for an entire day! My beloved Alex came as well, because that's the kind of man he is.


Taking a quick picture before the work begins - my handsome love.
Because of the limitations of my body, I wasn't able to physically work for very long. Most of my time was spent working on online classes, or bringing around snacks and water to my hardworking family.
Having some lunch! One of my awesome cousins decided to photo bomb, haha.
What was supposed to be a four-hour job extended to an all-day event. I was so proud of everyone - no one complained, or got grumpy, or even slowed down. The men focused on building a mud room in the garage, so that visitors can take off their shoes and outside clothing before they come inside. It helps to cut down on dirt and germs coming in. The ladies focused on cleaning the inside, which was so much more work than I thought it would be. The walls and floor had to be scrubbed, all the blinds and curtains washed, and every surface wiped down with cleaner.

Working on a piece of the mudroom!

It was hard for me to have to sit by and watch my family work and work. My body tires so quickly, and it's very frustrating.

Another picture taken during a break, don't know what happened to my face..
When everything was finished, the house looked incredible! I really enjoyed being able to have time with my family. Being able to do something tangible to help was really satisfying.
 
Well, that was my weekend!
 
On Monday, almost completely by chance, I came across something that really helped change my views on life and my past. I have held on to so much pain and hate for so long, I think I've inadvertently twisted and shaped memories and people into complete monsters. They were monstrous even then, but the years of fear and anger haven't softened that impression.
 
Today, I realized that something that had done so much damage was not acting out of purposeful malice. This thing, that I had demonized and hated for so long in my mind, turned out to be an common, everyday object. My thinking shifted entirely. The thing and the memories, went from a monstrous dragon to a salamander in my mind. I still don't want to be around it, and it's creepy and uncomfortable, but it no longer feels like it is going to destroy me.


No comments: